The 2018 MLB Trade Deadline was one of the most active, particularly given that more teams have a chance for the playoffs this year (or think they do). This leaves a surplus of buyers and the sellers have been feasting off of overpay. Everything is listed below, from July 1st through August 1st. Kudos to MLBtraderumors.com for the help. Here’s some stats for you.
The number 51 – Amount of trades
The league averaged 1.7 trades a day! Who else is having post trade deadline depression? Every team made at least one trade, with the Rockies, Giants, Padres, A’s, and Tigers earning that distinction. Who had the most you ask? The Rays with nine!
The number 139 – Amount of players traded!
Wow. Isn’t that crazy?! 133 players switched teams last month. 133! Add six more that will be traded at a time later as the Player To Be Named Later. That’s a total of 139.
Show me the Money! $15 MM moved hands
Over five million in straight cash and over 10 million in international pool space marking the first time the international pool space out weighed the straight up cash. Braves dished out the most.
- Reds acquire Lorenzo Cedrola from Red Sox for International Bonus Space (Undisclosed amount)
- Dodgers acquire Dylan Foro, Zach Neal, and International Bonus Space (Undisclosed amount) from the Reds for Aneurys Zabala and James Marinan.
- Cardinals acquire Elniery Garcia from the Phillies for International Bonus Space (undisclosed amount).
- Indians acquire James Hoyt from Astros for Tommy DeJuneas.
- Rangers acquire Austin Jackson, Cory Gearrin, and Jason Bahr from the Giants for PTBNL or Cash.
- Rays acquire Holby Miner from Phillies for cash.
- Dodgers acquire Manny Machado from the Orioles for Yusniel Diaz, Dean Kremer, Zach Pop, Rylan Bannon and Breyvic Valera.
- Indians acquire Brand Hand and Adam Cimber from the Padres for Francisco Mejia.
- Twins acquire Jeremy Hazelbaker from the Rays for cash.
- Cubs acquire Jesse Chavez from the Rangers for Tyler Thomas.
- Athletics acquire Jeurys Familia from Mets for William Toffey and Bobby Wahl. Mets also receive $1 million of International Bonus Space.
- Royals acquire Brian Goodwin from Nationals for Jacob Condra-Bogan.
- Yankees acquire Zach Britton from the Orioles for Dillon Tate, Cody Carroll and Josh Rogers.
- Red Sox acquire Nathan Eovaldi from the Rays for Jalen Beeks.
- Diamondbacks acquire Matt Andriese from Rays for Michael Perez and Brian Shaffer
- Rockies acquire Seunghwan Oh from Blue Jays for Forrest Wall, Chad Spanberger, and PTBNL.
- Brewers acquire Joakim Soria and one million dollars from the White Sox for Kodi Medeiros and Wilber Perez.
- Astros acquire Martin Maldonado from Angels for Patrick Sandoval and $250K in International Bonus Space.
- Yankees acquire J.A. Happ from Blue Jays for Brandon Drury and Billy McKinnley.
- Braves acquire Jonny Venters from the Rays for $250k International Bonus Space.
- Cubs acquire Cole Hamels, cash considerations from the Rangers for Eddie Butler, Rollie Lacy, and PTBNL.
- Mariners acquire Sam Tuivailala from Cardinals for Seth Elledge.
- Diamondbacks acquire Eduardo Escobar from the Twins for Jhoan Duran, Ernie De La Trinidad, and Gabriel Maciel.
- Phillies acquire Asdrubal Cabrera from the Mets for Franklyn Kilome.
- Astros acquire Ryan Pressley from the Twins for Jorge Alcala and Gilberto Celestino.
- Brewers acquire Mike Moustakas from the Royals for Brett Phillips and Jorge Lopez.
- Yankees acquire Luke Voit and $1 MM in International Bonus Space from Cardinals for Chasen Shreve and Giovanny Gallegos.
- White Sox acquire Caleb Frare from Yankees for $1.5 MM International Bonus Space.
- Braves acquire Brad Brach from the Orioles for $250 K International Bonus Space.
- Astros acquire Roberto Osuna from the Blue Jays for Ken Giles, Hector Perez, and David Paulino.
- Mariners acquire Zach Duke and $75 K from the Twins for Chase De Jong and Ryan Costello.
- Mariners acquire Adam Warren from the Yankees for $1.25 MM International Bonus Space.
- Yankees acquire Lance Lynn and $2 MM cash from the Twins for Tyler Austin and Luis Rijo.
- Braves acquire Adam Duvall from the Reds for Lucas Simms, Preston Tucker, and Matt Wisler.
- Red Sox acquire Ian Kinsler and $1.83 MM cash from the Angels for Williams Jerez and Ty Buttrey.
- Pirates acquire Keone Kela from the Rangers for Taylor Hearn and a PTBNL.
- Rays acquire Tommy Pham and $500 K International Bonus Cash from the Cardinals for Justin Williams, Genesis Cabrera, and Roel Ramirez.
- Indians acquire Leonys Martin from the Tigers for Willi Castro and Kyle Dowdy.
- Mariners acquire Cameron Maybin from the Marlins for Bryson Brigman and $250 K of International Pool Money.
- Diamondbacks acquire Brad Ziegler from the Marlins for Tommy Eveld.
- Rays acquire International Pool Money from the White Sox for Hunter Schryver.
- Phillies acquire Wilson Ramos from the Rays for a PTBNL and cash.
- Cubs acquire Brandon Kintzler from the Nationals for Jhon Romero.
- Phillies acquire Aaron Loup from the Blue Jays for Jacob Waguespack.
- Diamondbacks acquire Jake Diekman from the Rangers for Wei-Chieh Huang.
- Dodgers to acquire John Axford from the Blue Jays for Cory Copping.
- Pirates acquire Chris Archer from the Rays for Austin Meadows, Tyler Glasnow and a PTBNL.
- Braves acquire Kevin Gausman and Darren O’Day from the Orioles for Brett Cumberland, Jean Carlos Encarnacion, Evan Phillips, Bruce Zimmerman, and $2.5 MM International Pool Space.
- Brewers acquire Jonathan Schoop from the Orioles for Jonathan Villar, Jean Carmona, and Luis Ortiz.
- Indians acquire Oscar Mercado from the Cardinals for Connor Capel and Jhon Torres.
- Dodgers acquire Brian Dozier from the Twins for Logan Forsythe, Luke Raley, and Devin Smeltzer.