Pocket aces? Is that what we’ll see in tonight’s Diamondbacks-Giants game ?
We know we’ll see one ace in San Francisco’s two-time Cy Young winner, Tim Lincecum. As for the other — we’ll just have to wait and see.
- Officially Licensed Product
- Officially licensed by the MLB
Ian Kennedy is taking the mound for the D-backs. On one hand, he has a major challenge. On the other, he has a major opportunity. A Yankees first-round draft pick, Kennedy battled injuries in his four years in the organization. He was sent to Arizona in a three-way Diamondbacks, Yankees and Tigers trade.
When Kennedy came to Arizona at the age of 24, he proceeded a number of past D-backs aces. The team has had guys like Randy Johnson, Curt Schilling, Brandon Webb and Dan Haren at the front of their past rotations. And I think a win tonight moves him one giant step closer to adding his name to that list.
He is looking to go toe-to-toe with one of baseball’s best pitchers and stop the streaking Giants, who have won five of their last six, following their weekend sweep of the Rockies.
Kennedy, too, has been dynamite in his last four starts, posting a 1.93 ERA in two wins and two no-decisions. In those starts, he’s tallied 24 strikeouts and a 0.89 WHIP. I’m looking forward to a pitcher’s duel and a D-backs win.
- The D-backs are heading into their three-game series with the Giants following a series loss in San Diego, where they outscored their opponents by four runs, losing two one-run games.
- Chris Young is ice cold headed into the series, going 0-for-14 in San Diego.
- Kelly Johnson will be leading off tonight. I’m not expecting the whiffer to fare too well against Lincecum, who will likely lead the National League in strikeout by the end of the day.
- Armando Galarraga (3-2, 5.29 ERA) will face Jonathan Sanchez (2-2, 3.55 ERA) tomorrow night and Daniel Hudson (3-4, 4.47 ERA), who has won his last three starts, will take the mound against Matt Cain (2-2, 3.38 ERA) on Wednesday afternoon.