GM Dombrowski shares insight into Tigers offseason plans
Detroit Tiger General Manager Dave Dombrowski held a near-hour-long session Tuesday with local media talking on the past, present and the possible future of the Detroit Tigers.
Most of what Dombrowski said came as no surprise to Tiger fans and media. He said it was “very unlikely” the Tigers will re-sign Magglio Ordonez and Carlos Guillen. It has been a rough two seasons for Ordonez and Guillen. They both had been on and off the disabled list throughout the 2010 and 2011 seasons. I think Ordonez has another good season left in him, but in a different ballpark.
As for Joel Zumaya, who becomes a free agent this week, the Tigers will wait until spring to see how he looks. Zumaya, who was also a victim of the injury bug, would have to be an invitee to the spring camp in 2012.
Brad Penny, who was signed last offseason, never became the spark plug the Tigers were looking for in the rotation. He is not expected to be back. The Tigers hope young phenom Jacob Turner will earn a starting spot in 2012. The club also will keep an eye on Duane Below and Adam Wilk, both of whom will compete for a starting role. Phil Coke most likely will stay in a relief role since the starting pitcher experiment turned out as bad as Frankenstein’s monster.
Dombrowski did go on to say the number-one priority this offseason is to secure the second base position.
Jim Leyland’s entire coaching staff has also been re-signed. There were many questions about third base coach Gene Lamont and some of his decisions throughout the season. (One that surely comes to mind is the ALCS with Miguel Cabrera and the play at home on the fly ball to Nelson Cruz.)
On a minor-league note, the Tigers and the triple-A Toledo Mudhens extended their working relationship through the 2016 season. That partnership began in 1987.